Tuesday 24 February 2015

Eurovision is almost here!!!

I make no apologies for my excited child-like behaviour around this time of year. It's true, I'm a little ball of excitement who's just about ready to burst.

While most people get excited for Christmas or birthdays, I get excited about Eurovision !


Ever since I was little I have loved Eurovision. As I've grown older the joy of the whole Eurovision period has only grown with me. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the coming together of nations that tugs at my heartstrings, maybe it's learning different styles of music or possibly the pure anticipation of announcements of the entries, the dates I can finally count down to and of course waiting to find out who will be crowned the winner.

I normally know the words of every song a fair while before the final. I know facts about the performers, the theme of that particular year. I get to choose my own personal favourites that way.


There are so many things that you would never think you would see or hear, good and bad... example last years winner Conchita Wurst aka The bearded lady (I kid you not) was the centre of attention for obvious reasons. However she won the hearts of everyone with her genuine charm and honesty and of course with her song 'Rise like a Phoenix' which suited her perfectly and she became the winner of Eurovision 2014 for Austria.



This year will be the 60th year of Eurovision... 60th! ... Am amazing achievement in itself to run successfully for such a long period. However they do like to shake things up and this year is no exception as Australia are joining Eurovision this year as a one off (exciting stuff!) .. But they aren't in Europe ? ..Nope they aren't but they have a love for Eurovision like no other and are totally 'stoked' to be taking part. Personally I hope they do really well.

Eurovision has changed a lot over the last 5 years or so. It has ditched its 'cheesy' reputation and has become a very serious yet fun competition. It is in a totally different league to your regular singing contests.

The UK entry has not yet been announced BUT we have a date !! (YAY). On March the 7th the person representing us will be revealed... I can't wait.

Soon enough I will be sat on my couch with a variation of snacks awaiting the Eurovision theme tune along with my partner who begrudgingly watches it with me (though he secretly gets excited too, I know he does).

I will be doing a follow up blog when the UK entry is announced. Until then I will somehow have to stay composed (should be easy , right ?) ... 11 days to go ! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment