Monday 23 March 2015

Marriage - I didn't ... I do !

Marriage seems to be a normal part of most people's lives.
Most people hope to find 'the one', get married, have children and live happily ever after.

Not me.. I never really planned to get married.

 
 
Of course I'd dreamt about a big white wedding but as I grew older I realised that a big white wedding is not a marriage. After all the reason for a wedding day is to get married but marriage scared me.. in fact it still does. I have been with my partner for 9 years, we have 4 beautiful children and after years discussing it - We have finally decided to do it !


Me and Ste in 2006 - my 16th birthday

  I realise that the things that put me off are not actually to do with me or my partner.. they are to do with other people's marriages:

  I didn't want marriage to just be the next step.

  It should never be just the next step, yes we are a little different and had children first (which to be fair is quite common now) but even having children together didn't automatically make me want to get married.




Marriage is not taken seriously by everyone.

I blame this on watching way too many wedding programs but I love to see a good how we met, fell in love and got married story. However these programs are the worst to showcase very naive, newly met couples who barely know each other. Honestly the amount of time some of them have been together (like a month) I'm surprised they know each others last name but then again some people just know and do get married quickly and are still together years and years later.



Me and Ste in 2007 - my 17th birthday.
I will only get married once.

No I don't have an issue with people who get married 3-4 times but personally I only want to get married once, for life - that's it !







I hate a fuss.

As most couples would love the spotlight to be on them on their wedding day I really hate being the centre of attention, it makes me feel awkward.. though I think this is pretty much unavoidable on your wedding day I really don't want a big white wedding with 2nd cousins that I haven't seen since I was 4 ... I want a very small, very intimate wedding.




While a lot of couples strive to have the perfect day with sit down meals, a number of bridesmaids, ushers, flowers girls .... Which is lovely ... but just not me, not us. I want a simple wedding with little touches, close family and good food. I want to spend our day celebrating with the ones we love, the ones who it matters to and of course one of the best things is our children will be right there with us.







I see me and Ste being together for ever, yes we argue, bicker and we are both pretty competitive but after 9 years we can still have each other in stitches over the silliest of things, we still flirt like we have been together a few weeks. We know each others flaws and my god we both have a fair few but yet we still appreciate each other, we still have fun and honestly when we are old and frail I still think we will be picking each other up on down days, laughing at stupid things and still nagging each others ears off... but that is perfect for me. xx



We are planning to get married next year, when we will have been together for 10 years. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment